At 2:41 PM -0700 10/24/01, Jon Stevens wrote:
>Why am I not surprised?
>
>The funny thing is that even in this down economy and with all the free
>(better?) alternatives that are out there, people will actually still pay
>for this stuff!
>
>We should put a paypal link on the Jakarta homepage and donate the money to
>AIDS research or some other worthy cause.

(Disclaimer:  I don't develop for Microsoft platforms.  I barely know
anything about .Net.  I'm personally rather unfond of Microsoft)

Sorry, Jon, if you bothered to even read the story that you
referenced (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7629784.html) you
would know the headline [...the cost of signing up as a developer to
.Net Entry level is $1,000...] is simply untrue.  These costs are to
have your applications listed on the .Net My Services.  Basically, if
you want your application listed and hosted by Microsoft, this is the
fee that you have to pay.  Anybody can download the .Net SDK and use
whatever tools they want to create .Net applications.  This story has
been going around ALL of the 'usual sources' (slashdot, etc...).
Personally, I don't think I will touch .Net unless I get very
desperate, but I feel I need to set the record straight when I hear
people spread untruths like this, even when it's about something I
consider the 'opposition'.

Avi