> From: Micael Padraig Og mac Grene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Are you just talking about creating a new language, or what?  What is
your
> idea?  I cannot tell.

That's a good question, and ultimately one which would be determined by
the constraints of the technology.  Prototyping would probably involve
using an existing language and platform, and maybe we would ultimately
discover that it is possible to build a system like this on top of a JVM
(or CLR).  My suspicion is that it is not, and may be undesirable for
legal reasons anyways.

The later part of my diatribe was a hastily phrased way of approaching
this subject:

Unless you want to go back to the dark ages of C++, the future is
shaping up to look like a choice between writing for the Sun platform or
the Microsoft platform.  This does not make me comfortable, especially
considering that Sun's approach to Java so far has been *wholly*
anathema to the principals of Open Source.  At least Microsoft has
submitted C# and the CLI to ECMA.  Quoth Jon: *WAKE UP PEOPLE*

I am tantalized by the idea of a third choice:  the Apache platform.  I
propose a discussion of just what that might be.

Jeff Schnitzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]