>On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 07:13:50  1100 Peter Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote.

No offense to commons but if one can make ones project move up the list on
sourceforge, I would venture to guess they'd get far more exposure then as a
new package under commons.  There is a hump to travel up on sourceforge, but
once you're over it your project gets in this reinforcing loop that causes
it to stay on the front page.  Heck, after POI moved to jakarta it still
managed to stay in the 96 percentile on Sourceforge and we've not released
in like a month or so.  Just my opinion.  One does have to market an
opensource project...there is no getting around it.  On sourceforge that
means you have to get enough going to get in the top 50.  (both by getting
traffic for the site and by committing enough to help raise the activity
rating).  If you do that the rest will follow (in my experience).  Being in
Commons won't help you in this respect as much as being front page on
sourceforge I'd venture to guess.