Enough people have expressed interest in Jakarta One that I believe we
should go forward, at least as a social gathering so we can see what we all
look like.

Due to the short amount of time available for preparation, as the de-facto
chair of the de-facto committee (James, Jon, although he doesn't know it,
and myself...) I would like to propose that we table the idea of a separate
technical session and keep it social.

However, if we have enough interest, we can do them in conjunction with the
social program.  That might make in less formal, and people will be less
inhibited.  For example, I know I can get a well-known Java programmer to
come and talk about why he likes .NET so much.  If we can convince Sam Ruby
to show up, as chair of the .NET CLR ECMA committee (did I get that right,
Sam?), we can turn it into a discussion rather than a presentation.

JakartaOne 2002
===============

When
----
Tuesday, March 26, 2002 time TBA : suggest evening, with technical talks
first, then music afterwards - refreshments served throughout

Where
-----
StudioZ.tv (http://www.studioz.tv/) (Jon Scott Steven's club/event space)

What
----
Gathering of the Open Source community  - meet the faces with possible
informal technical talks.  Refreshments certainly available.

RSVP
----
While not required for entrance, the courtesy of an RSVP to help us gauge
attendance will be appreciated.  To do so, send a message to geirm at
optonline dot net with the subject line

  [RSVP] JakartaOne

And that will be fine.

Call for Papers
---------------
Anyone wishing to give a short talk (10-15 mins) on something they think is
interesting and relevant is invited to submit a short proposal to geirm at
optonline dot net, which will be reviewed by the ad-hoc committee (Geir and
James).    If there are enough willing participants, we will get facilities
set up (white screen and projector...)

One idea is to invite the Jboss people over - they are having 'JBossOne' at
the same time, but during the day, so maybe we could get a few to come and
talk at JakartaOne as well.

What We Need
------------
I am on the east coast of the US, and will be in the UK the week before
JakartaOne, so need some local help.  Since we are minimizing the scope, and
StudioZ.tv will be managing the refreshments, it seems that the biggest need
will be wrt publicity.   I have no clue how to do this, but here are things
that spring to mind.  I assume that Jon with his event organization
experience will correct and add to the list.

 o Can we get volunteers to distribute flyers at the Tuesday morning
keynote, or in the lunch areas during the day?  We could do that both Monday
and Tuesday to get some awareness....

 o We will need some financial support to pay for the paper and copying
cost.  Maybe 1/4 size 8.5x11 handbills can be cheap to produce at kinko's?
If someone could figure out how much it would cost, I will be happy to pay
for some, and we can take a collection or approach the ASF.

 o Once we iron out the specifics (like what times are appropos) I'll be
happy to post the finaly announcement anywhere and everywhere.  If we can
get it on Slashdot... :)

Anything else?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting