Ainsi parlait [EMAIL PROTECTED] :
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:
> > >Ok, I didn't know that - and I bet many other people are in the same
> > >situation.
> > >
> > >If anyone can confirm this with a professional, then I think it should
> > >be displayed pretty clearly on a visible page, and we should find
> > >alternative open standards to use.
> >
> > jpackage need this kind of information to determine what could be
> > freely present in its rpm distribution and what should be dropped.
>
> Yes, and it's important to find out which packages are indeed based
> on open standards and remove the others imediately.
>
> Not only because it's required by the licence, but because packaging
> them might get people to use them, and that's bad.
That what we initially attempted to do , provide only free software, but we
had to quickly adopt a less strict policy in order to have something to
package...

> If a package is based on an open standard and a clean room
> implementation exists and is comparable with the reference and
> has better license - I think the choice should be clear too.
Sure, but that choice depends of developpers, not of packagers...

And the current question is: what to do when no alternative exists ?

>From current discussion, it seems everyone agrees main problem comes from BCL
itself, and not additional software-specific clauses. There are actually two
problems:
1) the "bundled as part of your software" clause
2) the "US export laws compliance" clause

My personal understanding of the BCL allows me to consider distributing
javamail in its own package ad part of a whole distribution project comply
with 1). And the technical issue of 2) make me thinks it is pointless anyway.

Now if someone can demonstrate me i'm wrong in either of those points, i'd be
happy to revert to our old practice of distributing spec files only, and let
final users build their own packages themselves.
--
Guillaume Rousse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html