On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:01, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> > IANAL, and I have no idea how this corresponds to usage of the JAXP
> > specification, but it seems pretty clear that this is an implementation
> >  of JAXP that's under the Apache license...
>
> And blatently illegal to boot ;)

I think what Peter said was that you can read the spec only if you
agree with the licence, and that prevents you from implementing it
unless you follow all the rules.

That includes the requirement to pass the official test suite,
and probably other restrictions I don't understand.

It's obvious some of the people who worked on this did read
the spec - so it seems this is not a legal implementation.

The licencing and jcp lists are closed to the public, and
this seems to be the job of the PMC and ASF ( to verify
that all the software is legally used ). I can only hope
a lawyer will be used to validate it.

If this is not resolved - we have to start removing all
dependencies to JAXP and all other APIs that are not legal,
and eventually work on replacements.

There is no other way.

Costin