I don't know. IANAL. We really do need a lawyer. Anyway, in my view, you
would not be able to legally run such a reverse engineered clone on a Sun
JDK

>From the JDK 1.4 licence.

Java Technology Restrictions. You may not modify the Java Platform Interface
("JPI", identified as classes contained within the "java" package or any
subpackages of the "java" package), by creating additional classes within
the JPI or otherwise causing the addition to or modification of the classes
in the JPI.  In the event that you create an additional class and associated
API(s) which (i) extends the functionality of the Java platform, and (ii) is
exposed to third party software developers for the purpose of developing
additional software which invokes such additional API, you must promptly
publish broadly an accurate specification for such API for free use by all
developers.  You may not create, or authorize your licensees to create,
additional classes, interfaces, or subpackages that are in any way
identified as "java", "javax", "sun" or similar convention as specified by
Sun in any naming convention designation.

Conor