On 3/23/02 11:03 AM, "Ceki Gülcü" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 09:50 23.03.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>> On 3/22/02 12:19 PM, "James Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> A thought struck me today which is probably totally obvious to folk but I
>>> thought I'd share it anyways. Sun gets pots of cash from companies who
>>> develop J2EE compliant software from the J2EE license fees. So its in Sun's
>>> interest to protect the BEA's, IBM's and their own J2EE products. The money
>>> they get is based on revenue of the company (so thats quite a lot of money
>>> from BEA & IBM).
>>>
>>> The money-men at Sun probably see open source J2EE solutions as lost
>> revenue
>>> to possible commercial J2EE solutions so when folks like JBoss come along
>>> they see it as in Sun's interest to not certify them to protect their J2EE
>>> licence revenue nest egg.
>>>
>>> Though with the .NET competition now I think its in their interest to
>>> protect their J2EE market place by allowing open source solutions;
>> otherwise
>>> long term folks will just move away from J2EE.
>>
>> I think that it gets even worse for us - it's my understanding that since
>> the J2EE licensees had to pay pots for the license,  bring open-source-able
>> JSR's into that umbrella will dilute the value of the licenses they own.
>> Therefore, it's conceivable that would be a motivation to oppose the opening
>> of the J2EE API's.
>
> This well may be case. It is pure speculation nonetheless. Or do you
> know something I don't?

I have no solid facts - no one has ever said to me "J2EE licensees protect
their investment...", but it's a reasonable supposition.

> First, we don't know how much money Sun gets from licensing.
>
> Second, the price of the license will drop if independent
> implementations are allowed.

That depends on a few factors, such as what qualifies compatibility, but you
are right, and the recent Great Leap Forward re the JSPA will address that.

> For App Servers, I think the barrier of
> entry is in the difficulty implementating the spec not in the licensing.
> It's going to be JBoss, Weblogic, and Webspere for a long time. As
> such, BEA and IBM will be thrilled to see a lower price -- assuming the
> price was high.

Seems that Macromedia Jrun is trying to compete in the space on price...
And Jboss is a different thing, right?  They pay nothing for the licensing,
but don't get certified as a compatible J2EE impl.

> Again, my claims are long on speculation and short on facts.

Me too :)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting