At 18:28 28.03.2002 -0800, you wrote:
>>god no. The avalon group was already using a facade logger long before
>>commons was for much the same reason commons adopted one.
>

>Is Avalon still using its own facade logger or changed to commons-logging?
>
>I'm just wondering: How many Jakarta projects use this common-logging
>package?  What's the advantage of having a common logging package if it's
>not widely used even within the Jakarta community?
>
>One solution: all Jakarta projects must support both LogKit and Log4J (as
>they are both part of the family) by using commons-logging if they want to
>(but as logging is not the core business of many Jakarta projects, using
>the common-logging package makes sense).
>
>Another solution : drop one logger (don't shoot me!) and stand beside the
>winner.  Users willing to use Jakarta projects will *have* to use the
>Jakarta logger.  Sound M$-ish, doesn't it?
>
>Last solution : everyone stands where they are: pro-choice vs. pro-one-logger.

Your allusion to Microsoft is interesting as much as it is troubling. For
some reason
everybody here takes the development of good software for granted. It takes
a lot of
energy and time. We waste much of it bickering among ourselves. Initially I was
very saddened by this but now have grown accustomed to it. I do not expect
to change anyones's mind. I am pretty sick of the politics and have much work
to do.

--
Ceki
My link of the month: http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/standardization/