on 4/25/02 3:37 PM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a side note. I have heard good things about
> http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/ which is yet another persistence layer.
> Unlike all the other ones this does not force you to work within a particular
> model of development. ie It does not force you to regenerate sources (ie
> Torque), postcompile (ie Entity beans), or process it through bytecode
> augmenter (ie JDO).
>
> The persisted objects are simple java beans with setters and getters. The
> setters/getters need not be public but the system will only persist javabean
> properties.
>
> Anyways it looks like a very kool idea but I have not yet tried it. And before
> I jump into it I was wondering if anyone else has had a go? The main thing I
> guess I am interested in is the performance as none of its docs talk about
> how they cache instances of javabeans or when the beans are made stale etc.

I like their quote in their FAQ...

    "And, at runtime, reflection isn't really as slow as people say."

The reality is that reflection in pre-JDK 1.4 is terribly slow compared with
direct method calls.

They are also missing a couple important features:

"Yes, with two caveats. Firstly, at present Hibernate's query language does
not support composite keys very well. Secondly, the support for versioned
data doesn't include support for platform dependant things like sequences or
auto-increment columns."

FYI, Torque's re-generation of sources is really not that big of a deal.

-jon

--
Nixon: "At least with liquor, I don't lose motivation."