On 5/1/02 12:28 AM, "John McNally" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:38, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On 4/30/02 11:31 PM, "John McNally" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
>>> is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
>>> should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
>>> of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
>>> provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
>>> webapp independent of any other framework.
>>
>> I think that's stretching 'webapp'  I guess tomcat does the same thing as it
>> supplies servlets...  :)
>
> Well I would not be bothered if tomcat had developed a build system that
> it packaged as an independent entity with the idea that it might be more
> generally useful. Tomcat is a large project and they certainly could
> have had the itch. And if they promoted it occasionally what's the big
> deal.

<joke>
If you have ever built tomcat from source, you might wish they had a build
system...
</joke>

That used to be true - I don't know if it is anymore.

>>> Struts is adding support for
>>> Velocity even though one of its primary reasons for being proposed with
>>> Turbine already existing was to limit the view to jsp exclusively.
>>
>> I think you are mistaken - we are building a toolkit to use Velocity as the
>> view layer in Struts....  Struts isn't adding any support AFAIK.
>>

> Okay, I guess I could argue that developing a taglib (or something more
> elaborate) is outside the scope of a project around a template engine.

We have one of those too. :)  Lets you do wacky things like

<jsp:useBean id="mybean"  class="GeirBean" />

    <vel:velocity strictaccess="true">

         #set($mybean = $scopetool.getPageScope("mybean"))

         #if(true)
            this is true!
         #end

         $mybean.string

        #foreach($item in $mybean.array)
            $item <br>
        #end

    </vel:velocity>

> Except that I am arguing against such strict definition of scope.  And
> from what I saw I thought it was pretty cool.

But I understand the point.  What we are hoping to do is to make
tools/support so you can use Velocity templates as a view layer in Struts,
so you have a choice about the view layer, like you do in Turbine.  :)  For
us, it's all about making it easier to use Velocity as it isn't An Official
Standard.

This concludes the Velocity/Turbine/Struts plug-fest. :)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting