I'm not familiar enough with Maven's recent developments to write on this. Perhaps you could contribute? I'm also not sure how many projects there are that are currently using Maven, however, since this seems to be expanding I suspect it would be worthwhile.

Ok, I'll try to get something down in the next couple of days - I've got a release today. I'm afraid I've been using Maven as an excuse to switch back to Emacs from NetBeans - they play together well - but I am actually meant to be writing up something like this anyway, for folk in my company; we're trying a few small, new projects with Maven. Wouldn't stuff like this be better in the Ant/Maven docs though?

Perhaps it would.  What do you think?

True but... this is linked from the "Full Remote CVS access" bit on the CVS Repositories page, and is marked as intended for would-be committers. Something is needed for folk who are just submitting patches. The actual "How to submit a patch" page is buried in Jakarta - a typical user (like me, er, 5 minutes ago) would find it by:
* Clicking on "How To..." under "Get Involved" (which doesnt appear in subproject pages!)
* Reading the bit on "Contribute Code..." and clicking on "CVS Repositories".
* Reading the text at the top of "Full Remote CVS Access", which says you need to read the Guidelines;
* Clicking through to there and /guessing/ that its under Source Repositories
* Clicking on that and scrolling down to where "Patches" are explained - the bit with the command line magic
* Then going back to find instructions on how to get anon access to CVS...
Yes.

I know you can get to there quicker, but it strikes me as a bit "beware of the leopard"[1]. Pulling together instructions for anon cvs access and patch creation on one page would make more sense.
Agreed.

A smaller change that would improve the docs here would be to create an anchor for the patch guidelines, and add a link in How To...Contribute Code... directly to http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html#Patches. Then have the guidelines link to the anonymous CVS instructions.

Ok, I /will/ submit the patches for these 2 pages, probably tomorrow.
Excellent!

-Baz

[1] http://www.kafejo.com/iq/mensa/picsinfo.htm

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege. If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above. If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).