At 05:52 05.12.2002 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

Would a shut-up-and-think-for-yourself be any better? It seems to me that you are seeking an explicit sanction for the practice of using the current license by reference.
Yes, shut-up-and-think-for-yourself would be better assuming it came
with at least a hint for the reasons behind the policy. Until very
recently, I could not find any explanation for the reasons behind the
policy beyond "*someone* on the board said so, now please go
away". Moreover, when we submitted this question to the board the
answer was far from clear-cut, although that may be due to a
misunderstanding on my part.

The ASF is very much centered around an open and pragmatic license. If you want to weaken this a bit in the name of saving a few bytes, the ASF is not going to falter and fold.
I never expected the ASF to falter and fold. However, I do expect the
ASF to act reasonably which implies that it can explain/document its
decisions. Is that too much to ask for?

By the way, I am not seeking a sanction. I am trying to understand.

At the moment, this may be the closest thing to a sanction you may get. If a better one becomes available, I'll be sure to forward it on.
You know where to reach me.

Peace.
Acked and mirrored.

- Sam Ruby