I realise it's difficult to discern legitimate mail from spam, etc.
arriving at webmaster aliases, but this request has been fallen through
the cracks for more a month, and I'd appreciate some help on it.

----- Forwarded message from rick -----

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:50:42 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Link to my and ESR's "Asking Smart Questions" page

Hi there!  I'm trying to reach the editor of the
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html page, which links to "How To
Ask Questions The Smart Way",
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

Your page says:

   Ask smart questions.
   Every volunteer project obtains its strength from the people involved
   in it. You are welcome to join any of our mailing lists. You can
   choose to lurk, or actively participate; it's up to you. The level of
   community responsiveness to specific questions is generally directly
   proportional to the amount of effort you spend formulating your
   question. Eric Raymond has even written an essay entitled "Asking
   Smart Questions" [link] precisely on this topic. Although somewhat
   militant, it is definitely worth reading.

Two things:

(1) As you'll see if you take a closer look, it's actually co-written by
Eric _and me_.  I'd appreciate your fixing that.

(2) Since you guys posted the above text, probably some time in 2001,
both Eric and I have been barraged with e-mail by novice Java coders,
asking us to help them debug their code or solve their Java technical
problems.  I've been trying for two years to chase down where all these
Java-heads got the addled notion to write _us_, and I _think_ the
proximate cause is the aforementioned hyperlink.

Eric at least knows some Java, while I know very little, but neither of
us appreciates having utter strangers (essentially) try to lob their
homework at us.  (And, no offence intended, but I don't even _like_
Java.)  Their doing so isn't your fault, but it would be really nice if
you would add something like:

  Note:  Do NOT send your Java problems to that FAQ's authors.
  They welcome feedback on the FAQ's contents, but are simply
  not a Java help resource.

The crowning irony is that one of our FAQ's very first sections is:

    When You Ask
    Choose your forum carefully

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.

----- End forwarded message -----