On Mar 19, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

How about if Jakarta [or Apache-Java as a whole] embraced the latest JCP
process?

In what way? Can you be specific? As I understand the JCP, what you are
asking makes little sense.

We don't have "spec leads", nor do we want them. We don't have ownership of
a project/specification. Everything here is communal and consensual. That
is not true of the JCP. Actually, I would prefer to see the JCP continue to
evolve to become more like the ASF.

What I'm largely interested in are the reasons why not, as these would be
perfect reasons why something like groovy, or ant or httpclient, should
not become jsr's.

A JSR is a specification. It should have a TCK and an RI, but at heart it
is a specification. Some people have talked about proposing the Apache
Repository Specification, which I understand Maven will evolve to use, as a
JSR. If that happened, I'd prefer to see us run a JCP Expert Group more in
line with an ASF project, not run ASF projects like an JCP Expert Group.

That would be a good example of something that would be appropos for a JSR - something that others will/might implement, and if so, you want to be sure that your software which works with one implementation of it works with others.

Geir? Your thoughts?

We are always working to help move the JCP towards the OSS model, but it's a slow process. In JCP 2.5 (the guidelines for the JCP), the ASF's work was key in getting TCKs and RIs to be able to be licensed under and OSS license. Before that, there was no way to do an OSS JSR. Now, w/ 2.6 that just went into effect last week, the process now formally encourages as much openness and transparency as possible in an EG (although you still can do pretty much what you want...) as well as require an early release of the spec to the community to enable as much feedback and commentary as possible. Previously, the EGs had to release a community draft late in the process, and that made them afraid to have not enough time to fix stuff, so they would tend to really delay.

The Groovy EG will be run as an OSS project, btw...

geir

--- Noel

[EMAIL PROTECTED]