On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Martin Cooper wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:28:34 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Martin Cooper wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:50:28 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Next up is to clean up various bits on the large front page. Here's the list of changes. For each one, if I don't hear a -1 by Tuesday I'll go ahead and make the change.

4) Removal of Graduated from the left navbar.

I haven't kept up with all of the discussion in the last few days - why are we removing this? IMHO, it's still valuable for the less frequent visitor to our site.

Graduated is a confusing concept that we then have to somehow explain.

Then let's just call it Ex-Jakarta.

Seems okay :) I'll promote this suggestion to a new thread, see if anyone disagrees.

Additionally, how long would we maintain links to said projects etc?

6 months to a year.

Let me ask the reverse question: How long would you keep the link to a
subproject once it leaves? Would you remove it as soon as the project
leaves, or keep it around for a while? If the latter, why wouldn't you
move it to an Ex-Jakarta section instead?

Spent an hour pondering it, and I'm swayed by your arguments.

I'm happy too keep the links to old Jakarta sites. The only real problem it causes us is when things get closed (Avalon), but those projects should have sites kept up anyway.

By News section, I'd meant the front page. Given the tighter mock, an item in the news section of the front page is pretty prominent, but it's probably more valueable spacewise than the bottom left of the navbar, so maintaining links to ex-jakarta is much better.

7) Removal of Our Mission. Redirect to front page.

This seems to me like an important thing to have stated up front. If what we have now isn't what we think we're about, we should fix it rather than removing it. If we don't think we can fix it, then we have a serious problem. ;-)

It's a pointless page. The Welcome + Navbars contains all the information it has, so it just adds to the general clutter.

Any comment on this? Can 'Our Mission' go?