On 9/24/05, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Prior to calling a PMC vote here in a week or two, I'd like to ask if
> anybody has any comments on the following proposal for Commons
> HttpClient to become a Jakarta subproject focusing on Http components.
>
> Hen

> (The following charter for Jakarta Http Components project is pending
> approval of the Jakarta Project Management Committee (PMC). )
>
> Rationale:
> =========
>
> The original Jakarta Commons HttpClient API has a number limitations that
> cannot be resolved without a significant architectural redesign. Moreover,
> Jakarta Commons HttpClient has been increasingly used in applications and
> environments it has not been specifically designed for. The existing
> monolithic design no longer adequately reflects the use patterns of
> HttpClient.
>
> HttpClient needs to be refactored into a toolset of simple, low level HTTP
> components suitable for building more specialized HTTP services.
>
> Project scope:
> =============
>
> * Jakarta Http Components develops a toolset of low level components
> focused exclusively at the transport aspects of HTTP protocol.
>
> * Jakarta Http Components MUST be content agnostic. The project DOES NOT
> develop components intended to produce or consume content of HTTP
> messages.

While I understand what you're trying to say here, this wording appears to
preclude some of what is in HttpClient today, namely multipart content
handling.

* Jakarta Http Components continues the development of Jakarta
> HttpClient (formerly Jakarta Commons HttpClient) based on the toolset of
> HTTP components. This tool focuses strictly on the client side of HTTP.
>
> * Jakarta Http Components MAY develop non-client components (such as an
> HTTP connector, a lightweight server component, proxy components) as
> reference material to demonstrate the capabilities of the toolset. The
> said artifacts ARE NOT meant for production use and are not released as
> official Apache Jakarta products.
>
> * Jakarta Http Components collaborates with other projects to develop
> specialized HTTP services for production use based on the toolset of HTTP
> components.
>
> * Jakarta Http Components DOES NOT define a server side API on top of the
> low level transport API.

Again, I understand what you want to say. However, I think it would be
better said in terms that make it clear that it is intended for use on the
client side _of the protocol_, since many people are using HttpClient on the
server side today, but as a client to other servers.

--
Martin Cooper

Targeted specifications and standards: