On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, robert burrell donkin wrote:

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 10:20 -0800, Martin Cooper wrote:
On 1/10/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

* Groups exist. These are categorically not subprojects, but a way to
allow for slicing of the website etc. Some groups may have their own mail
list; thus the importance of making sure they don't become subprojects. An
important rule will probably be that they must do votes on the main list.

I prefer the term "groupings" (which, interestingly, you switch to below ;)
over "groups".

+1

+1. You're right, groupings is much better.

* Improved Committer->PMC process. Chair's responsibility (I've failed at
this so far) is to turn around the new committer process. A new committer
of 6 months is effectively voted against going to the PMC, not for. Might
not be able to make it exactly that way, but the idea being that joining
the PMC is the exception, not the norm. Personally I'd like to see
committership be removed if people repeatedly are not allowed onto the
PMC.

Well, except that the process is that the PMC has to vote in a new committer
to the PMC and then notify the board of that vote. I'm definitely not in
favour of magic notifications to the board when the six months are up,
without an associated vote.

i don't like the idea of magic notifications (to the board) but
something needs to be done: ATM we're dysfunctional. just take a look at
the nominations per nominator over the last year or two: nomination
hasn't become ingrained in the culture.

ATM we're slipping up but maybe statistics and reminders may be better
for the moment than automatic nomination...

+1 to reminder. The board list has a reminder to chairs to submit their report. We should have a similar thing, a reminder to [EMAIL PROTECTED] that the following people should be considered for the pmc.

Easiest method is to have something that compares svn structure for jakarta (easier when we have only one auth) and the committee-info.txt file. Doesn't catch new committers who are not in svn yet, but a good 80/20.

Hen