On 3/9/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> I didn't know whether this had been done before in
>> Commons - but seems
>> that it has for the Commons CSV component back in
>> December 2005:
>>

> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/jakarta-commons-csv.html
>
> Actually I knew about this but thought I remembered
> someone (Henri?) saying later that having gotten the
> code in this way might not have been the best choice
> in retrospect.  Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Yep that rings a bell and going down that route again, is not something that
has my support for
*new* components (which this is). If the code is destined for an existing
codebase, we could do the
IP route, else I would like to see some level of incubation (besides handling
ip). See the
discussion on not-yet-commons ssl.

I'm wondering why? Seems to me that this is a slightly different
situation to either CSV or the SSL situations since one of the
developers is an existing ASF and Commons committer.

Niall

On another note : If there will be no mentors for the project from Jakarta, I
don't see a reason
that Jakarta be the sponsor of the project. Not that this is a documented
Incubator policy however,
but since 1) we have a lot of people who are allowed to be a member and 2) the
project should have
active guidance from the community where it is destined to end up (esp
important in a commons
situation).

I am planning to start a thread on these kind of situations on incubator
general to gather thoughts.

Mvgr,
Martin