On 3/9/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hence the reason I wanted to wait for a response till I had more time
(still busy).. My approach for
you would have been : get a software grant, ccla and icla on file and
start a vote on you being a
committer for cactus, I just failed horribly to send out that mail (btw
sending in those documents
is what legal incubation is about).

I will send you some links for this, if you didn't figure it out earlier
or someone else beats me to
it..

Since there is still enough interest in Cactus I think that new activity
will be enough to get more
people aboard and get the ball rolling again :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Petar Tahchiev wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> will come back to this on friday..
>>
>> Mvgr,
>> Martin
>>
>> Petar Tahchiev wrote:
>> > Hello guys,
>> >
>> > first of all let me introduce myself. My name is Petar Tahchiev and
>> I am
>> > from Bulgaria.
>> >
>> > I wanted to enroll in the last-years Google Summer Of Code
>> > where I applied with the
>> > project of migrating the Cactus build system to Maven.
>> Unfortunatelly me
>> > and
>> > Felipe Leme (my mentor), who I would like to thank once again for the
>> > encouragement
>> > and the help he provided me, weren't qualified. Later I had a
>> > few personal issues to solve, but the point is that I continued to
work
>> on
>> > my own and sooner I managed to
>> > migrate the Cactus project to be built with Maven.
>> >
>> > When everything was done I started submitting patches in the cactus
>> jira,
>> > for some known bugs. The problem with the patch of the build system
was
>> > that
>> > it turned out to be very large so I couldn't apply it in the jira.
Then
>> me
>> > and Felipe agreed that it would be better to move the cactus to a
>> separate
>> > repository
>> > and test the build system there (you understand that the new build
>> > structure
>> > was absolutely different from the old one and merging was a kind of a
>> tough
>> > task).
>> > So I got my work and imported it in my own repository at the
>> > sourceforge.netwhere we began testing. The point is that when we
>> > wanted to apply the
>> > changes in the
>> > cactus trunk in the Apache repository we were adviced by Martin van
den
>> > Bemt
>> > that we have to ask that the project be moved in the incubator first
>> and
>> > then when the
>> > code is appropriate for the cactus's trunk move it in the trunk.
>> >
>> > Now the process of moving Cactus in the incubator is stalled, as
>> well as
>>
>> > our
>> > work on it, because I want to move it in the incubator, before I
>> > continue making
>> >
>> > additional changes and implementing new features.
>> >
>> > So my request to you guys is this: if anyone can help us move the
code
>> in
>> > the incubator, he is more than wellcome.
>> > Thank you very much.
>> >
>> > P.S. You may find additional information of the whole process here:
>> >
>> > [1]
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg08579.html
>> > [2] http://www.nabble.com/Question-About-the-Current-State-Of
>> > -Cactus-In-the-Incubator-t3222261.html

> Ok, no problem.
>
> I know that you are busy, but I have another idea that came to me
reading
> the Matt Benson's post. In fact the guys are
> dealing with a project that seems to be inspired the jakarta commons
> Convert
> project and so it would be possible to
> accept the code without passing through the incubator. So why isnt' this
> situation possible for Cactus (I mean I have refactored existing code
and
> added the maven xml files - it is not a new project).
>
> I also agree that passing through the incubator is the best solution in
the
> great majority of cases, but in my opinion there are still some cases
(like
> Cactus for instance) that are threatened of stalling even more.
>
> P.S. Personaly for me, I am happy with both of the solutions - with or
> without the incubator. My desire is to start working on the project as
soon
> as possible because we are planning of implementing some new features
> [...]

It would be better you send me those links, since I have no idea what a
software grant, ccla and icla is :-).

Ok waiting for the links.

Greetings.

--
Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.

Public PGP Key at:
http://keyserver.linux.it/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1A15B53B761500F9
Key Fingerprint: AA16 8004 AADD 9C76 EF5B  4210 1A15 B53B 7615 00F9