On 3/9/07, Petar Tahchiev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 3/7/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> will come back to this on friday..
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> Petar Tahchiev wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > first of all let me introduce myself. My name is Petar Tahchiev and I am
> > from Bulgaria.
> >
> > I wanted to enroll in the last-years Google Summer Of Code
> > where I applied with the
> > project of migrating the Cactus build system to Maven. Unfortunatelly me
> > and
> > Felipe Leme (my mentor), who I would like to thank once again for the
> > encouragement
> > and the help he provided me, weren't qualified. Later I had a
> > few personal issues to solve, but the point is that I continued to work
> on
> > my own and sooner I managed to
> > migrate the Cactus project to be built with Maven.
> >
> > When everything was done I started submitting patches in the cactus
> jira,
> > for some known bugs. The problem with the patch of the build system was
> > that
> > it turned out to be very large so I couldn't apply it in the jira. Then
> me
> > and Felipe agreed that it would be better to move the cactus to a
> separate
> > repository
> > and test the build system there (you understand that the new build
> > structure
> > was absolutely different from the old one and merging was a kind of a
> tough
> > task).
> > So I got my work and imported it in my own repository at the
> > sourceforge.netwhere we began testing. The point is that when we
> > wanted to apply the
> > changes in the
> > cactus trunk in the Apache repository we were adviced by Martin van den
> > Bemt
> > that we have to ask that the project be moved in the incubator first and
> > then when the
> > code is appropriate for the cactus's trunk move it in the trunk.
> >
> > Now the process of moving Cactus in the incubator is stalled, as well as
>
> > our
> > work on it, because I want to move it in the incubator, before I
> > continue making
> >
> > additional changes and implementing new features.
> >
> > So my request to you guys is this: if anyone can help us move the code
> in
> > the incubator, he is more than wellcome.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > P.S. You may find additional information of the whole process here:
> >
> > [1]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg08579.html
> > [2] http://www.nabble.com/Question-About-the-Current-State-Of
> > -Cactus-In-the-Incubator-t3222261.html

Ok, no problem.

I know that you are busy, but I have another idea that came to me reading
the Matt Benson's post. In fact the guys are
dealing with a project that seems to be inspired the jakarta commons Convert
project and so it would be possible to
accept the code without passing through the incubator. So why isnt' this
situation possible for Cactus (I mean I have refactored existing code and
added the maven xml files - it is not a new project).

I also agree that passing through the incubator is the best solution in the
great majority of cases, but in my opinion there are still some cases (like
Cactus for instance) that are threatened of stalling even more.

Martin or others may answer this better - but AIUI one of the two
primary goals of the incubator is building  community around code
bases. This is not just a "nice thing" at Apache - its an absolute
necessity. As an example under Apache rules without 3 votes from the
PMC (project management committee) responsible for a project you can't
release anything. Once a project falls below that critical level of
involved people its basically dead in the water as far as releasing
any software goes. In the case of a project like Cactus the main
reason for going back to the incubator would be to re-create a viable
community.

Niall

P.S. Personaly for me, I am happy with both of the solutions - with or
without the incubator. My desire is to start working on the project as soon
as possible because we are planning of implementing some new features and
then releasing a RC.

Looking forward to your reply.
--
Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.

Public PGP Key at:
http://keyserver.linux.it/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1A15B53B761500F9
Key Fingerprint: AA16 8004 AADD 9C76 EF5B  4210 1A15 B53B 7615 00F9