I think we have to remember that the ASF provides an important legal
umbrella here.  By setting policies which we follow (which of course can be
debated), it prevents us from being sued if an SCO-type situation develops.
This would be a low-probability, but extremely catastrophic event,
especially since developers could be sued directly if they were operating
independently.  The PMC plays an important role in shielding individual
developers from liability by approving releases according to defined
policies.

WILL