For commons transaction I did exactly that.

Create/sign the RC as if it was the final release, but only put it on
temporary storage without notifying anyone external.

IMHO a RC is not meant to check for remaining bugs, but rather to see
if the distro looks ok, installs, etc.

That means the RC is never actually released to the users. This is
what betas or milestones are for.

Disclaimer: Certainly not official. This is my personal way of making releases.

Cheers

Oliver