On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2010, at 12:23 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> With RegEx in Java since 1.4, I do not see the need for these libs aside
>> from legacy application support. I consider mothballing a service to the
>> community at large: please, join us in the 21st century, port your RegEx
>> code to Java 1.4. ;)
>
> I guess not everybody is satisfied with Java 1.4 version yet, otherwise there
> would be no such wide variety of choices:
> http://tusker.org/regex/regex_benchmark.html

However that page seems to indicate that Jakarta Regexp is not
preferable to Java 1.4. Given that, the question is whether we believe
we'll be improving it dramatically rather than merely bugfix. Of
course there might be other reasons why Regexp is preferable.

ORO does do better than Java 1.4 and would seem to be the product
worth attention if we want to support a 'java.util.regex' isn't good
enough angle.

Hen