Theodore W. Leung wrote:

> I am *very* against the idea of WASP as a separate project.  If the Axis
> and Wasp communities can not agree, then I think we're done.

What if the Axis and Wasp communities agree that separate code bases are
the right initial step?

> We already
> have 2 SOAP implementations with 2 different API's.  We don't need 3.
> At least X1, X2, and Crimson are JAXP interchangable.  Right now, the
> SOAP situation is a mess.

By necessity, SOAP had a non-standard API (as the standards did not exist
yet).  Axis supports JAX RPC, but does not yet support JAXM.  WASP supports
JAXM but does not yet support JAX RPC.  If we can steal from each other, we
can probably achieve interchangability quickly...

> I think that the WASP code and community can contribute in a number of
> areas.  The way that we got into the Crimson / Xerces mess was that we
> said, we'll accept both projects and figure out how to merge them
> later.  It took a long time for that to start to happen -- not that it's
> fully happened just yet.

Let's not extrapolate too much from one data point.  I would suggest that
there were other factors involved too.

> The way that Batik happend

If I understand correctly, Batik was "x" number of companies getting their
code integrated outside of the scope of Apache, and then contributing the
result?  Given that Axis is already an Apache code base, how should we
proceed?

- Sam Ruby