On 25/04/12 19:03, Glenn Adams wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Vincent Hennebert
> <vhenneb...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 25/04/12 17:03, Glenn Adams wrote:
>>> how does this differ from the current checkstyle-5.5.xml rules that are
>> the
>>> current default in fop?
>>
>> The following rules have been removed:
<snip/>

>> • CSOFF and CSOK
>>

> i do not accept removing these unless you are willing to remove all rules
> that trigger a warning/error in the absence of these pragmas

Those are essentially the rules about whitespace. I’ve given reasons
what I think we should keep some of them. Could you comment on them?

>> • Double (No idea what it is about. It doesn’t appear in the list of
>>  available checks for Checkstyle 5.5.)
>>

> the full name is DoubleCheckedLocking, which is documented at
>
> http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_coding.html#DoubleCheckedLocking

Ha, ok. I think it’s not Checkstyle’s job to check for that.

<snip/>
>> • EqualsHashCode
>>

> i think this should stay, since it is part of the object contract, and
> exceptions (via CSOFF/CSOK) need to be explicitly documented

Same here. I think Checkstyle should be restricted to, well, checking
style.

<snip/>
>> • ConstantName: removed log exception
>>

> could you elaborate?

Static final log fields will have to be made uppercase.

>> • WhitespaceAfter: added typecast to follow Sun’s conventions
>>

> i don't accept this, particularly since it is widely used in FOP code (and
> I always use whitespace after typecast)

?? Using a whitespace after a cast is precisely what this rule enforces.

> i also don't accept changing LineLength back to 110; i believe someone
> proposed 130, which I can accept as long as i can disable entirely using
> CSOFF; i would prefer *no* limit

I (and others) have given good reasons why the line length should be
limited. Surely those reasons prevail over mere style preference, don’t
they?

Thanks,
Vincent