On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Helder Magalhães
<helder.magalh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>> I've made some progress on the XML Graphics CMS migration.
>
> Does the CMS take the same markup used for FOP?

Not sure what you mean... The CMS system uses the MarkDown format. As
Glenn mentioned earlier, it's semantically challenged (so converting
to PDF isn't a drop-kick like Forrest), but it is in a format that can
be updated via the WEB-based interface.

I've provided this info previously, but here's some cheat-sheet info:

https://cms.apache.org/#bookmark

and this'll help:

http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html

> Is there any automated
> transform mechanism or will this be a one-time migration? I'm asking
> this because I have a handful of changes in my working copy for which
> I didn't have the chance to commit yet (I'm doing that pretty slowly).
> I'd like to know whether they will lost during the migration or if I
> should start thinking about merging to the new format (if so, does
> anyone have a few pointers handy?).

I already did that migration with the vast majority of XML Graphics
project documentation.

Unfortunately, that was a one-shot deal, so any additional content
that needs to be updated, will likely need to be done by someone
(either the developer who initially makes/made the docs changes, or
someone else... ;-)

The 'merge' process at this point, is pretty much copy and paste. The
'merge' process in the future will pretty much be: make your docs
updates in the CMS.

That's for CMS-content changes. Some content doesn't lend itself as
well to CMS updates. I'm referring to Compliance page, Batik
JavaDoc--which are frames-based--and possibly Batik DEMO. I'm *sure*
we'll find other 'gotchas' as well...

>> I think I've nailed down most header & sidenav issues.
>
> A quick look through the Batik site showed the status page appears to
> be the quite affected:
> http://xmlgraphics.staging.apache.org/batik/status.html

That page appears to be similar to the Compliance page, and hence will
likely need to be hard-coded as well. An alternative, would be for
someone to update the MarkDown conversion process to either support
our style of YES | NO | PARTIAL notation, or some other fix.

>> Something is funky with the Batik Demo page... It renders
>> initially--albeit a bit funky so it might need some HTML finesse--but
>> changing the values and clicking the [Update chart] button don't
>> effect change:
>>
>> http://xmlgraphics.staging.apache.org/batik/demo.html
>
> The demo seems broken. At least, I wasn't able to perform any
> HTML<->Java interaction on Windows using:
> * Java Plug-in 10.5.1.255
> * Using JRE version 1.7.0_05-b06
> Probably due to some HTML conversion...

Yet another page requiring of hand-coding? Then again, perhaps someone
just needs to spend some time attempting to come up with a better
solution for these. Among other things, we might be able to determine
a better solution to applying the HEADER / FOOTER to hand-coded HTML
pages. I should be able to figure that one out.

>> The Scripting with ECMA Script is also funky... We might have to
>> hand-code some changes to make content render properly (e.g., <code>
>> elements with HTML entities, etc.):
>>
>> http://xmlgraphics.staging.apache.org/batik/using/scripting/ecmascript.html
>
> I've seen this as well.

Hope your summer has been a blast!