Thanks for checking, Simon. I have addressed these issues as follows:

   - removed symlinks, altering build.xml et al as needed to directly use
   new src hierarchy (except test/images, which I've restored);
   - change java version to 1.6 in POM;
   - verify compile+test in both ant and maven using JDK 1.6, which
   requires use of maven 3.2.5 (maven 3.3 requires JDK 1.7);
   - verify checkstyle and findbugs ant targets, with both JDK 1.6 and 1.7;
   - verify mvn checkstyle:check and findbugs:check goals, with both JDK
   1.6 (using maven 3.2.5) and JDK 1.7 (using maven 3.3.9);

To run ant checkstyle and findbugs targets, ensure you add the following
(or equivalent) to build-local.properties:

   - checkstyle.location =
   ${env.HOME}/work/checkstyle/checkstyle-5.5/checkstyle-5.5-all.jar
   - findbugs.home.dir = ${env.HOME}/work/findbugs/findbugs-2.0.3

Since findbugs 3.0.1 requires JDK 1.7, we won't be able to use it until we
give up 1.6 as minimum JDK version.

At this point, I can run the following without error on JDK 1.6 and 1.7 (on
Mac OSX El Capitan - 10.11):

   - ant clean junit
   - ant checkstyle
   - ant findbugs
   - mvn clean test
   - mvn checkstyle:check
   - mvn findbugs:check

I have not tested other ant targets or mvn goals.

Note that once maven is configured and running successfully, it is my
intention to drop ant build support; though this is subject to discussion
and agreement by the PMC. However, for a while at least, we should be able
to maintain both build processes.

Regarding Jenkins CI, my plan is to disable the current ant build config
and enable a new maven build config as soon as possible.

Please check this branch against Windows if you have a chance; I don't do
Windows (any more).

The VOTE is still active, so if anyone has a blocking issue, please post a
-1. Otherwise, I will go ahead with a merge by end of day Wednesday.