Apologies if this is a generic Gentoo type question. I have been trying
to convert my system to using udev with no devfs but ran into brick
walls booting with no devices. Just now I stopped at the initrd stage
and had a good look at what /linuxrc was doing and when it invokes
the /bin/udev program it's segfaulting.. which would explain all my
problems trying to follow what little documented procedures I could
find.

Is anyone else successfully using a udev-only system on amd64 or
is this a general/amd64 wide issue (and not just for me) ?

--markc