On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 20:32 +1000, Jason White wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed the 2005.0 upgrade guide and decided to use the
> Makefile-profile_update-2005.0 method.
>
> The makefile executed properly until it reached the following line:
>
> cp /emul/linux/x86/lib32/libsandbox.so /lib32
> (no such file or directory)

Did you have a multilib portage?  If so, you should have that file...

re-emerge portage with USE=multilib and continue the Makefile.  There's
a bash version available here
http://dev.gentoo.org/~eradicator/amd64/2005upgrade.sh , but I haven't
tested it out yet.  It looks like it should work.  Please give feedback.

> I have the full output available and can determine the versions of
> installed packages as required.
>
> I also noticed that after the (still incomplete) upgrade, alsa sound
> drivers are no longer loaded correctly; /etc/init.d/alsasound produces
> a "unable to load necessary drivers" error, but without any more
> specific indication of the cause.
> I've checked the configuration files I recently updated with
> dispatch-conf but can't find the cause.

Whatever that is has nothing to do with 2005.0 upgrade.  Did you change
kernels?