Octavio Ruiz (Ta^3) wrote:
> David Klaftenegger, who happens to be smarter than you, thinks:

Thanks for the compliment

>>Pascal BERTIN wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I upgraded from 2004.3 to 2005.0 using the Makefile method,
>>>everything went OK,
>>>
>>>but after all this, an emerge --newuse -puDv world
>>>wants to remerge gcc with following USE flag : (-multilib)*
>>>
>>>so, as 2005.0 is said to have multilib enabled by default, why would
>>>portage re-merge gcc without multilib ?
>>
>>That is a (quite common) misunderstanding: You just can't DISABLE it
>>anymore,
>

> Well, you can always use the default-linux/amd64/2005.0/no-multilib profile
> :-D
>

>>the USE-flag is no longer optional, and therefore written in
>>brackets.
>

> Should this be inside the Gentoo/AMD64 Technotes?

Probably it would help against all that uncertainty that obviously is
caused by a behavior that emerge shows here. Just a small remark, that
multilib USE flag isn't used on amd64.

It is not even a bug, it's just a flaw in design that a USE-flag, that
is not available on this arch is always disabled.
In our amd64 case this means multilib-USE-flag is disabled because the
multilib support is not optional. (Of course unless you use the
2005.0/no-multilib profile as correctly mentioned above)

Greetings,
David