For the time, assuming you are in America (edit accordingly):

# ls /usr/share/zoneinfo/America

(get the state you are in)

# rm /etc/localtime
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/<State> /etc/localtime

And voila. There you have it.

Kernel:

copy a copy of your old .config for /usr/src/linux

then assuming you are NOT using genkernel:

# rm -r /usr/src/linux
# ln -s <path of new kernel> /usr/src/linux

(copy the old .config back into /usr/src/linux)

# make oldconfig
# make && make modules && make modules_install
# mount /boot
# make install

reboot.

You will need to re-emerge the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx if you are using nvidia drivers. Not sure about ATI drivers.

You're on your own with genkernel. Never used it!