On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Bob Sanders <rsand...@sgi.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Daiajo Tibdixious, mused, then expounded:

>>> Sorry.  That's: www-plugins/nspluginwrapper
>>>
>>> bob
>>
>> I did not have that installed, so I installed it. It supposed to make
>> 32bit plugins work in 64bit browsers, however nsplugin-wrapper --list
>> does not show any,
>> despite emul-linux-x86-java being installed.
>>
>> On another note, I installed firefox-bin again, however it is using
>> the 64bit plugin,
>> not the 32bit plugin, which has me confused.
>
> Why do you need the 32-bit plugin if a 64-bit one is now available? Right
> now, nspluginwrapper is only useful for the Adobe Acrobat Reader plugin
> which is the only one that doesn't have a 64-bit version.  Both Java and
> Flash now offer 64-bit plugins and hence the wrapper is not needed.

On my old system I was using firefox-bin with flash & java working fine.
I had a fatal hard drive failure & due to obsolete system now have new
motherboard, memory, CPU, & disk.
On my new system I was using 64bit firefox with blackdown java to load
a large applet. The only problem was that it hung after 30mins to 1.5 hours,
which I was living with. This applet is updated weekly, and the last
update would
no longer load, it gets half way thru then gives a blank grey screen.
I checked & found I was using sun-jdk instead of blackdown & my efforts to
switch back led to that long thread.
Now that I have blackdown back in use, I can fully load the applet,
however after
a few seconds firefox crashes.
So now I'm experimenting with other jvms.
I was even about to download the IBM 1, however the amd64 version does
not have plugin support.
I am about to try setting firefox to pretend to be ie for this site,
as I suspect they may have jinxed the applet so that it only works with ie.
although I have another windows machine & both ie & firefox work just
fine there. So if its a windows jinx, I'm screwed.