Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> posted
58965d8a0905131352v6cece43ap22447193975cf...@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Wed, 13 May 2009 15:52:16 -0500:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Redl
> <sebastian.r...@getdesigned.at> wrote:
>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> A URL to an example would be helpful.
>>>
>> http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/hd/
>>
>> This page has trailers for Disney's new movie, but they're reference
>> MOVs. I can't find a way to play them short of trying to install
>> QuickTime.
>>
>> Sebastian
>
> Mplayer played it just fine for me. 1080p version.

kaffeine played it fine, via xine-lib (which may be using ffmpeg, I'm not
sure if it does for this codec or not), as well.  I don't believe I've
any binary-only codecs, either.

So both xine-lib and mplayer can play it, along with anything that uses
them as a backend, which is pretty much anything video, on Linux.  You
may have to play with USE flags a bit tho.