On Wednesday 04 May 2005 11:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just returned from a meeting with IBM which was about getting
> support for Gentoo Linux (hardware and software). The people from IBM
> told me that it's possible for Gentoo to become officially supported
> on IBM server hardware (xSeries, pSeries and zSeries).
>
> They told me about their hardware offerings to the Debian Project so
> that they could certify their distribution. I think this is a great
> chance for gentoo to become more common for productive use.
>
> Is there a general interrest in doing this and how can this start?

Interest; yes, believe that it will happen in the (forseeable) future;
absolutely not.

The biggest showstopper is that needs to be fixed first is lack of
predictability:
- Gentoo is extremely customizable (USE-flags, compiler settings, etc.). To
achieve predictability all those customizable options need to be locked.
- moving Portage-tree; if I install a system today, it wont be the same as a
system I installed one month ago.
- no standard method of installation; supported OS's are basically clicking
next, next, finish. Installation is done, system is identical. With Gentoo
you get a lot of choices for a single component (e.g. vanilla-sources vs.
gentoo-sources, vixie-cron vs. dcron, etc.). A default needs to be defined.

Second showstopper is lack of (LSB-)certification;
Like it or not, the typical managers in this world say if product x isn't
y-certified we wont use/support it. Gentoo needs a profile for a
LSB-compliant system.

There are more items that needs to be resolved before it's even possible to
talk about official support. Good news is that with the current
"Gentoo-framework" it's possible to fix both problems for example by creating
a profile, lock everything in this profile and make sure old ebuilds are not
removed during a sync. Other options are also possible (e.g. creating a
separate tree). See GLEP 19 for more details. The only problem is lack of
interest/time/priority from the developers/community.

If you want support from a company as big as IBM, you need to start smaller
(e.g. NX, MySQL, Open-Xchange). If these companies are willing to support
their products on Gentoo, then maybe bigger companies will follow.