I must say that I agree with Ciaran on this particular point.  The
current standards that tell you where to put things is lucicrous.  A
file system is NO different than a piece of code.  The whole thing
should be manageable by standardized VARIABLES not hard coded
standards.  Could you imagine how horrible the kernel would be if you
could only use a function in a certain way simply because you couldnt
use variables in it?  rand(1,10) as opposed to
rand(something,something).  That just wouldnt make any sense now would
it?  The same principle can be applied to FS structures.

Apache is one such project that doesnt care where you put it's files.
You just define the variables as to where everything goes at compile
time, and there you have it.   That's probably the correct way to go
about defining where system/data files go.

There is no current Linux FS standard that does this yet but having
Gentoo be the first would be something interesting.  The only problem is
that there ARE some applications that would/may not work with a FS like
this.  They would need to be modified at compile time in order to work.
These are usually binary only installs such as VMWare.  They would work,
but they would break the FS standard because their system files would
not be in a standardized location.  This may be fine for some, but
others that want a very clean FS would not be satisfied with this.  Thus
you would have to get companies such as VMWare onboard with the FS
standard which isnt likely to happen.  If you want some sort of FS
standard, I dont think Gentoo will be the distro for you for quite some
time to come unless something dramatic changes and in a hurry.  There
seems to be an unwritten guideline as to where things *should* be, but
not everything follows that unwritten rule.