Hi folks,

I would like to get your opinion on Enterprise-oriented desktop
deployment tools for Gentoo Linux (or the lack of).

As a small company CIO, I deployed Gentoo on a small scale here but
quickly ran into scaling problems and the lack of tools to help.

There is no obvious way to freeze a Portage tree (or to design a
specific profile) for testing on a golden workstation, to build a set of
update packages (ServicePack) and push it to the workstations, or to
have centralized accountability of what's installed where. There is no
easy way to avoid having to keep a synchronized copy of the portage tree
on all systems, even when using yourown-binaries.

With automatic deployments, would we run into difficult-to-solve
etc-update problems ? Should/could the ServicePack system take care of
that ?

Even in a simpler setup (preprod > production) we don't have the tools
to push a software configuration change from a test machine to a
production one.

What tools are missing ? Is it our job to provide them ? Can it
reasonably be done ? Am I just wrong to want to use Gentoo in that
direction ?

Next week: Gentoo-as-a-metadistribution tools :)

--
Koon