Omkhar Arasaratnam wrote:

> I think most of the assumptions that you're making involve giving your
> user population root access.
> Don't

??
The assumptions I am making are clearly not involving giving a user
population root access. I just point to the lack of tools to maintain
semi-frozen trees and to automate software updates on a large enterprise
desktop deployment, and try to see if this gathers interest. I fail to
see where I need to give wheel to user.

My position would rather be that workstations don't need a portage tree
or an emerge command. A software deployment server could push package
installation on workstations and keep track of what's installed where
and with which configuration files.

--
Thierry Carrez (Koon)
Gentoo Linux Security