On Wednesday 03 August 2005 07:41, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> If you want your patch back in, you will _need_ to file it upstream and
> have it committed before we will re-add it.
While I generally agree with this "the closer to upstream, the better", I hope
that this can be a bit more easy for compile-fixes for arches. Taking this
upstream can need a bit of time as the problem can manifests just on a
specific architecture (or os, thinking about g/fbsd) and there can be noone
on upsteram to take care of that at the moment we need the fix.

I'm wondering about this because latest two snapshot from Xorg doesn't compile
at all under G/FBSD.. while having it modular will probably resolve the issue
(at that point we will just p.mask or not keyword a package until it's fixed,
for example xconsole that doesn't work on fbsd), if the problem manifests in
one of the core packages needs to be fixed ASAP.

[Unfortunately our "parent project" FreeBSD doesn't seem to send always the
fixes upstream, that's why there can be problems that we need to address and
report upstream at the same time]

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/