Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| voting previleges

Again, why? They have not yet demonstrated their understanding of
complex technical issues. Voting should be restricted to people who
know what they're doing. Arch testers have not yet proven themselves.

Does that mean that all the Gentoo people who didn't take the ebuild quiz (which doesn't proove the understanding of complex technical issues very good anyway IMHO, but that's another issue) should not be allowed to vote?

| > Assuming by "arch dev" you mean "arch tester", then:
| >
| > Experience, commitment and (at least in theory) recruitment
| > standards.
| | Commitment first:
| IMNSHO, it is rude to assume that an Arch Tester is less commited to
| their work than an Arch Team member.  All developers should be doing
| their part and should hopefully ( we don't live in an ideal world here
| after all ) be commited to doing their work well.  A lack of
| commitment that results in shoddy work should get them removed from
| any developer role, Arch Team member or otherwise.

An arch tester has not committed himself to the project for the same
length of time as a full developer.

That's not true. The whole point is that our current ATs *don't want* to be developers but are willing to help us and are a great help to keep the tree up to date, and we think it's unfair to honor a dev who doesn't much but sending emails with a nice signature but treating the ATs as users where they do far more than said dev.

Uhm... Different people have different skill levels. Some of this is
down to natural ability, some of it is down to experience. Arch testers
have not yet proven themselves. Full developers have (at least in
theory...).

Yes, in theory. Too bad reality doesn't match with theory far too often. I for example became dev after just submitting a few "app-foo/bar works on amd64" bugs and moaning because it took too long to get them fixed. Of course i knew portage, but I really can't say that I have proven myself to be useful to the project when I joined it. BUT, this was before the idea of an AT existed. Today, every user who wants to become a amd64 developer, has to become AT first, to prove himself, so the problem you're speaking of was fixed, not caused by ATs.

Regards,
--
Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead