Sven Vermeulen wrote:
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 04:52:39PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:

The reason why the front page and the gentoo-announce ML (the two
official media for Gentoo -> users information) are under-used is that
approximately 5% of the developers know how to post to them. We should
probably make them more open (with a moderation system to check
message), then they will be used more.

But there is no such system available yet. It is a single commit that gets
transferred to the web site, no moderation possible.
Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done though.

Wkr,
      Sven Vermeulen

PS. If you want something posted in the current system, ping infra or mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the news item and it should get
posted.
I know, not the best track, but that's the current system.

Considering the number of hits on www.g.o, our front page is probably the best place for a single point of information. Top-5 hits for October 2005:
/rdf/en/gentoo-news.rdf 1,319,035
/       1,168,361
/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml       549,658
/rdf/en/glsa-index.rdf  528,659
/doc/en/index.xml       428,579

Should critical updates be announced in a news item? IMHO, yes, it can and it should be done.
How?
Maybe it would be easier to have a bugzilla alias, have news items be posted to b.g.o and let an extended pr team review and publish (or discard). As long as the news item is properly written and posted early enough, I see no problem with that.

Wkr,
--
/  Xavier Neys
\_ Gentoo Documentation Project