Stuart Herbert wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 08:40 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
>
>>>Well, I think that if users knew that information would be on these
>>>places, they might actually check them.  Currently, little to no
>>>information ever makes it to either of these locations, so users never
>>>bother to check them.  If we were to change that, I'm sure users would
>>>eventually pick up on the fact.
>>
>>I would agree with Chris here too. As long as we start using this
>>channel more and we get the word out, folks will start to be more
>>attentive to it. We can't satisfy every user out there and I think this
>>channel has a good chance of working.
>

> It would be great if emerge --news displayed the same news as www.g.o.
>
> I don't see www.g.o on its own solving the problem of getting news out
> to all our users.  How are you going to tell them that www.g.o and
> gentoo-announce now carries much more news?  Post the news on there, or
> in GWN, the forums, this mailing list, etc etc?  Aren't those the very
> places where we've already learned that not enough of our users look?
>
> I started this discussion because I've experienced that the percentage
> of users who read our existing news outlets isn't high enough to reach
> many of them in the first place ;-)

Implementing --news will take time. Implementing more news on our site
now takes little work and can be easily done. Outside of these two
options, what is better? I'd say a constant reminder in the GWN would be
helpful. Maybe we could add a big news warning in the next minor portage
update that when you tells you about the new news features (perhaps a
big einfo after you upgrade.

I know thats not the best solution either, but I dont' foresee --news
becoming a reality for a while.

--
Lance Albertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager

---
GPG Public Key:  <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1  4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742

ramereth/irc.freenode.net