[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
You must not have read the [#forums-whining]_ reference as that makes it
quite clear that existing methods isn't adequate. Even if you think the
apache maintainers made lots of mistakes you can't really fault us for
not trying to get the news of config changes out to all users.

I haven't, that's correct. However, a reference should be a source for additional information. A small exerpt or recap of that thread is not in the GLEP. Also, [#forums-whining]_ was not referenced in the quoted part, the reference only follows later on.

Going into answering your question, the thread suggests for instance an RSS-feed with this info. Also the GLEP mentions 5 distinct sources, of which I personally think at least two will be effective for a certain group of people.

That last thing was what I was aiming at. For some it might work quite well if the apache2 upgrade stuff (as sent out on gentoo-dev) was communicated through gentoo-announce. Hence my doubts on whether "[they are not] particularly effective" is a general statement that applies to any situation.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead