On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:32:05 +0900 Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Repositories will definitely have a unique identifier. Perhaps it
| would be better to use the repository-identifing format from the
| beginning so that readers are forced to be forwards-compatible?
| Assuming the readers would then output the repository name, labeling
| it "gentoo" should work well...

*shrug* If someone creates metadata/repository_id (or whatever), I'll
go with that. Otherwise, I'm not in favour of attempting to guess how
the thing will be implemented.

| > When a news item is read, its name should be removed from the
| > ``news.unread`` file. News clients may add the name to a
| > ``news.read`` file in the same directory with the same file format.
|
| news.read should either be mandatory or not created at all. Should a
| user change from a reader that creates and uses the file to one that
| doesn't and then change back again the results will be unexpected.

I'm not sure that that's the case. With a news to email forwarder, for
example, it wouldn't make sense to keep track of news.read.

| >     * Important: there are 5 unread news items.
| >     * Type emerge --help news to learn how to read news files.
| [...]
| > An ``eselect`` [#eselect]_ module shall be created as the
| > 'suggested' display tool; other display tools (for example, a news
| > to email forwarder, which would be ideal for users who sync on a
| > ``cron``) are left as options for those who desire them.
|
| By "suggested" you mean that it should be referenced in the news help?

News help, handbook etc, yes.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm