Chris Bainbridge wrote:
> On 19/12/05, Peter Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Or maybe not, I dunno. The point being I don't think we should immediately
>>write off
>>any of the distributed SCMs without pondering how they might make a
>>difference or be usable.
>

> It would  be very useful for people who aren't devs but only if they
> have access to the repository. It would also be useful for devs to
> have a standard way of publishing their testing/development portage
> overlays. On the first point, would any of the alternative SCMs prove
> to be better than CVS resource wise for providing anonymous access to
> users? It might also be useful to facilitate non-devs contributing
> patches to the tree - rather than posting files into bugzilla they
> could point towards whereever they publish their current tree (or
> changes), and developers can then work with their changes directly
> instead of the bugzilla upload/download dance we do now.

I am using subversion for a year now, both for work, personal data, system
administration (~/, /etc/
 on most machines) and gentoo development (my overlay).
Migrated from CVS that was used only for some code repositories.
It felt like changing a Trabant for Subaru (substitute your fav. rally car)!
Because of the ease-of-use and flexibility of access (ssh, https) I started
using it everywhere (See
good article "My life in subversiion").

As far as speed is concerned, it is comparable with CVS.
Storage-space-wise, it takes about twice the space because a pristine copy of
every file is held
locally (this allows diffs, reverts, etc. to be done from the local copy, so
the server is not
contacted).
Branching/merging is logical, svn:externals is very useful to import other
repositories in place.
Currently lacks owner:group and permisosons storage, but can be implemented as
a wrapper.

Compared to CVS, it is a clear winner in my opinion. And learnig curve is steep.

Just my 2 yen.

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+