On 01-01-2006 21:35:34 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote with possible deletions:
> The information contained in the ChangeLogs is essential, and it must be
> kept, but, force the users to download all that data it's not optimal.
>
> That said I can see only two ways to reduce the ChangeLog files (a
> centralized one is obviously not viable)
>
> 1) bzip2 them in some way.
> 2) "rotate" Changelogs, keeping only the last changes, until a size

or
3) remove entries for non-existing ebuilds
   This may, or may not be a good idea, but it is founded on the
   following observation: currently old or redundant ebuilds are removed
   from the tree.  Once that happens, they don't show up in the rsync
   tree and are only available through the (centralised) CVS Attic.  One
   can argue that Changelog entries for non-existing ebuilds are not of
   any use, since the files they refer to aren't present.
   This method would clean up the Changelog entries, in the same way
   ebuilds are removed, and CVS keeps the history around.
4) compress Changelog entries where possible
   Often, a package is marked testing or stable on request via a bug.
   This usually results in having as much as new Changelog entries as
   there are arch teams involved.  These kind of entries, that all more
   or less report 'Marked arch' could be merged into one, given that the
   information itself is Changelog-worthy anyway.  (This is arguable
   IMHO.)
   This method may involve a lot of fuzzy matching to perform it
   automatically, with its related risks.  The win for the large
   Changelog files is probably minimal.

--
Fabian Groffen