On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 17:00 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> So - as GWN monkey - I'm offering my services as aggregator for project
> updates. Maybe someone from the doc project wants to help to get this
> information put on the website so that it's visible?

Funny enough... I was working on this and forgot to send it out.

I was planning on posting it also on the Release Engineering page, but
need to turn it into GuideXML first.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead

This is a simple status report for Release Engineering.  The basic premise of
this report is to inform our users and developers where Release Engineering is
currently and where we are going in the future.  This includes coordination
work between Release Engineering and other teams.

2005.1-r1:
As you are all probably well aware by now, Release Engineering produced a
2005.1-r1 release based on the 2005.1 snapshot.  This media refresh was
designed to resolve a few major bugs with the 2005.1 release and help users
install Gentoo more effectively.  This release also introduced an amd64
Installer LiveCD image.  Very few bugs have been filed about this media
refresh, which is a good thing.  However, there were many bugs from 2005.1 that
we were unable to resolve due to wishing to base off the 2005.1 snapshot.
These bugs will be resolved with 2006.0's release.

2006.0:
We are currently in the Development/QA phase of the 2006.0 release.  We are
currently working out the initial internal release schedule to determine
availability of specific Architecture Coordinators.  The major goals of 2006.0
is to improve the Installer LiveCD for amd64/x86 and possibly introduce some
new experimental CD images for further Gentoo Linux Installer development.
Release Engineering, along with the architecture teams, has been working to
simplify and standardize the profiles under default-linux.  We hope in the
future to make this even easier once multiple parent inheritance has been added
to portage.  This release will also introduce NPTL as the default for all
supporting architectures.  Legacy support for non-NPTL stages above stage1 will
be dropped from all supporting architectures after this release.  This means
there will be a stage3 tarball for no-nptl systems released with this release
on architectures still supporting 2.4 kernels, but there will not be newer
tarballs made with later releases.

Catalyst:
We are hard at work on stabilizing catalyst for a 2.0 release, which we will
use for building the 2006.0 release, along with all future releases.  Catalyst
2.0 is a significant re-write of the core functionality fo catalyst to make it
more modular and more maintainable, along with adding some much-needed
features.  We plan on having a full catalyst 2.0 release into stable by the end
of Febrary.  We have had quite a bit of help from various members of several
architecture teams to improve support for some of the more esoteric
architectures.

Installer:
The Gentoo Linux Installer project has been hard at work on the next version of
the Gentoo Linux Installer, version 0.3, which will be released for x86 and
amd64 along with the 2006.0 release media.  This will also be the first version
of the Installer to become an offcially released and supported version for an
architecture, as x86 will be releasing a Minimal InstallCD and Installer
LiveCD, replacing the Universal InstallCD/PackageCD combination for GRP.

Future:
The future for Release Engineering is actually quite simple.  We hope to
automate more of our processes by incorporating more and more into catalyst, to
reduce the work load on the Architecture Coordinators and also to allow more of
our projects to easily build release materials.  We hope to eventually move to
an InstallCD/LiveCD combination for manual installs and GRP on all
architectures.  Work is being focused on making these processes more
architecture-neutral to allow for more standardization across architectures to
give Gentoo releases a more uniform look and feel.