Lisa Seelye wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 00:18 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Lisa Seelye wrote:

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 14:51 -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

I've been cleaning up media-fonts/ to work with modular-X, and I see a
lot of ebuilds with stuff like this:
   for font in *.bdf; do
       /usr/X11R6/bin/bdftopcf ${font} > `basename $font .bdf`.pcf
   done
   gzip *.pcf

For having 100 files in *bdf, this is so serial it's painful.

And here I was hoping Distcc would get some usage. :(

Distcc gets lots of usage with modular X.  But for the fonts? :)

Time for distfont? ;)

Make this distributed tool for tar zip bzip2 and gzip and I'm in, I don't think it would be useful with anything else than Gigabit Ethernet.

We might want to have in the make.conf 2 separate variables, one of them saying how many threads can be run on the machine, then How many threads/process across a cluster.

For example, my Dual Xeon EM64T file server can do make -j4 locally, like in make install, make docs etc etc, But for compiling I can use -j20, really not useful over -j8 anyway. But the point is, it would be usefully to separate the load distribution on the local machine and cluster nodes.

Philippe Trottier