Duncan wrote:
> Consider this: INVALID is strong enough, under the wrong circumstances,
> that it /could/ set an emotionally unstable user off, causing them to
> commit suicide or something.  I /know/ it was deeply depressing here,
> that first time, altho the effect on me would have been to simply push me
> back to Mandrake and cause me to become another anti-Gentoo activist, as I
> wasn't already suicidal. Some people /might/ be!  One never knows the
> emotional state of someone filing a bug, so consider carefully the effect
> INVALIDating the bug might possibly have on their entire life.  Would
> /you/ want that on your conscience, that it had been /your/ action, the
> marking of that one last bug they filed as INVALID, that finally tipped
> them over? I know I wouldn't!

Are you being serious about this? I dont' find it particularly funny in case
it's a joke. In case it's not, i find it ridiculous. If a person is that
emotionally unstable that he'd commit suicide because of an INVALID resolution,
he'd probably commit suicide everytime only the slightest negative event occurs
too. I really feel sorry for those people who are depressive, but I wouldn't
feel guilty because I closed a bug as INVALID instead of WORKSFORME.

> Obviously, I like the idea of NOTABUG better, or consider using WORKSFORME
> or WONTFIX.  Those get the same general message across, without having the
> implication of INVALIDating the user's bug, possibly/likely conveying the
> message that they are not welcome as a Gentoo user, or worse yet to
> someone already unstable, that their whole life is INVALID.

NOTABUG sounds good, but as Ciaran said, we need another replacement for those
bugs who really deserve it. If a user sticks -fvisibility=hidden into his CFLAGS
(instead of CXXFLAGS), PLEASEGOAWAYKTHXBYE would be much more appropriate.

--
Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead