On Monday 27 February 2006 19:19, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:05:58 -0600 Grant Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> | Of course, that leaves the question of who decides on the severity of
> | a QA violation?
>
> All this talk of severity, and no talk of "ease of detection" or "ease
> of fixing"...
>
> Allow me to explain. There are certain not particularly high impact
> issues that can very easily be detected, and with 100% reliability, by
> The Thing About Which We Do Not Talk. Any individual one of these
> doesn't look like such a big deal, but when we're talking a couple of
> hundred instances, all of which can easily be fixed in less overall
> time than it would take to even detect one instance of a particular
> severe problem, it's most definitely worth concentrating on the 'easy'
> issue.

I understand this point, but by your own admission, they are not
particularly high impact. In the case at hand, the particular issue does
however conflict with other goals. What I think would be reasonable is to
expect that you are not going to be able to solve 100% of the "easilly
detectable" issues. So, I think that while you continue to run the tests
on these packages, you maintain a list of exceptions, including the
reason for them being exceptions. Besides, work on finding solutions to
the problems behind it. But do not choose the greater evil (removing or
blocking a package) before the lesser evil (keeping a package with
well-documented issues).

In this respect I would like to propose that each package that has these
issues related to missing portage features, ensures that a related bug is
created for portage requesting that feature/a solution for the
fundamental problem. This bug should be marked as blocker for the package
related bugs in this respect. That way we can keep account of which
features in portage are needed for which packages.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer